Woodbridge (click on photograph to bring up bigger/better
|Handsome Victorian Gothic pump in
the Market Place, with the inscription "Erected 1876". It was provided by the
Seckford Charity, named after Thomas Seckford, a local benefactor, who provided
the funding for many other worthy causes in the town. Looks well looked after,
although the stone is showing signs of weather erosion and the canopy has lost
one of its ornamental spires. The wheel connects to an external crank
mechanism, and the spout emerges separately, probably suggesting that this is a
lift and force pump.
Markings: "J. Tylor & Sons, Engineers, London". Mike Tovey adds that there's also a plate affixed to the pump stating "R W Allen Plumber Woodbridge".
Manufacturer: J. Tylor & Sons of London. Installer: Robert W. Allen of Woodbridge.
|A bit of an enigma: a
pump behind a row of cottages in Bredfield Street, Woodbridge. Picture
© Linn Barringer.
Markings: Model name "PARRY 3" on the barrel.
Manufacturer: Possibly Parry Pumps Ltd., of Walsall.
|A most unusual pump at
Woodbridge, Suffolk. Is the corrugated sheathing a form of insulation? Thanks
to John Hurst for the photo.
|At Tangham, near
Woodbridge, Suffolk, this pump is set above a well-preserved brick-lined well.
Thanks to Gary & Vicky for the photo, and they report that they intend to
renovate the pump.
Markings: "CLIMAX 111/27" on the barrel, "572" on the flange and "CLIMAX ENGLAND" on the stopcock.
Manufacturer: Thomas & Son of Worcester.