Uppingham, Rutland (click on photograph to bring up bigger/better version).
All photos and research by John Hurst - thanks, John.
the Crown Inn at Uppingham, Rutland. The sign on the pump just asks customers
to be aware of neighbours.
|Well-spotted and difficult to photograph, but a telephoto shot
confirms that a hosepipe carrying a tap has been inserted through the
Markings: None discernible .
|A lead pump with a very early date.|
|Records show that a William Gamble, currier, "lived in a house at the end of a long row of cottages" and that "The yard behind him was given his name at one stage". An old photo of the pump has the caption "Standing in Gambles Yard is a pump with the inscription WG 1805, presumably put in by William Gamble for the convenience of those who lived in the small houses in the yard ". Further research shows that Gamble's Yard was later renamed Shield's Yard. So, could it be that the horned crest on the pump reflects WG's trade as a currier - a preparer of leather for tanning - and hence deeply indebted to the cow for his raw material?|
|Markings: "WG" and the date, "1805". English Heritage, which
lists this pump as Grade II, describes the embellishment as a deer's head, but
closer inspection shows that it has horns, not antlers.