|Click on photograph to bring up bigger/better version.|
|A chain pump at the outdoor museum at Beamish, Co. Durham. Nearby is a notice, proclaiming:|
WATER PRODUCED BY THE ANIMALS
IN THE FOLD WAS DRAINED
TO THIS WELL, THEN PUMPED OUT
TO BE SPREAD ON THE FIELDS. THE
SYSTEM WAS INSTALLED AROUND
1800, THOUGH THE PUMP IN PLACE
IS NEARER 1900.
|Markings: "H. Bamford & Sons,
Improved Chain Pump, Uttoxeter"; a shield containing a chevron and the letters
"H", "B" and "&S"; and "RD NO 17856".
Manufacturer: Bamford's of Uttoxeter.
|Way off the beaten path near Boldron, Co. Durham. Thanks to John
Hurst for the photos and Alverie Weighill for the update. You can read
a history of the
well, which includes some information on a new pump being fitted in 1950,
farmers using it during the 1959 drought, repairs in 1960, and further repairs
to the well in 2007.
Markings: "3"" or "3IN" and possible "CH" near the top of the barrel.
|This one at Cotherstone, Co. Durham, works, and there's a modern sign next to it warning that it's not drinking water. Photograph supplied by John Hurst - thanks, John. It carries a notice:|
| THE RESTORATION OF THIS
VILLAGE PUMP WAS CARRIED OUT BY
COTHERSTONE PARISH COUNCIL
FUNDED BY A LEGACY FROM
MRS ALMA MORAN.
|Read the story of its renovation in 2009 - well done David Rabbitts, Cotherstone Parish Council and craftsman Peter Wilkinson of Barnard Castle!|
|Durham, Co, Durham||See separate page.|
|In a bad state at Greta Bridge, Co. Durham. Photo supplied by John
Hurst - thanks, John.
Markings: Various indistinct markings on barrel, including a "3".
|A dilapidated and well-hidden lead pump at Langton, Co. Durham.
Thanks to John Hurst for the photo.
|Romaldkirk, Co. Durham||See separate page.|
|On the green at Sedgefield, Co. Durham. Photograph supplied by
John Hurst - thanks, John.
|The water fountain on the green at
Staindrop, Co. Durham, which was renovated by Staindrop Parish Council in 2020.
Despite being known as the water fountain, it has a handle, and excavations
showed that there was indeed a lift and force pump located directly under the
substantial stone structure. It had a chequered
history, in that not long after its original installation in 1865 the embedded
ironwork started to crack the stonework and, rather than attempt a major
repair, it was decided to install a new standalone pump nearby (see photos on
the right),which has since been removed. A nearby notice relates the history.
Thanks to Ed Chicken for the photos.
|On the green in Whorlton, Co. Durham. Photograph supplied by John
Hurst - thanks, John.
|Witton-le-Wear, Co. Durham. Thanks to John Hurst for the
Markings: It carries a label "ENGLISH VILLAGE PUMP".
Manufacturer: Not yet identified, but suspected to be a re-furbishment.
Back to Directory|Back to Map|Home|