Montgomery (click on photograph to bring up bigger/better version).
on the left is on the corner of Church Bank in Montgomery, Powys, and carries
an earl's coronet design with a date 1876. The flat front plate and spout are
of cast iron, but the housing behind it is made of substantial pieces of timber
- showing signs of rot. A large handle is still in place and not strapped down.
Stone trough. The second pump - see right - is further down Arthur St, and is
essentially identical except for the date - 1871. Its handle is strapped down.
The pumps were installed when Edward James Herbert, 3rd Earl of Powis,
modernised the water supply.
Markings: Pump is encased.
this is reportedly the remnant of what used to be a third pump in the town, on
Lion's Bank. Photo suppplied by Paul Snelling - thanks Paul - (who was assured
by a local man that this was the case).