Greyabbey (click on photographs to bring up bigger/better versions).
Co. Down. Thanks to Marcus Simms for the photo on the left. Thanks also to
William Edgar for providing the extra information and historical photos, one
from the late 1920s/early 1930s, and
the other from 1960. These show that the early
pump was wheel-operated; this was later replaced by a Belfast pattern cowtail
model. Some years later mains water was brought in and the pump removed. Local
volunteers commenced the refurbishment of the pump wall in April 2015 and
installed a replacement pump. It was opened officially by the local Mayor on 30
A nearby information board provides much detail, of which the following is an extract:
| This is the site of an
original water pump which
supplied the inhabitants
of the village with clean
fresh water before the
installation of mains piped
water in the 1950's.
Originally, there were five
pumps in Greyabbey but all
but one has been lost
in the intervening years.
| The Restoration
After piped water became available, the pump was removed
and the surrounding wall was left to fall into disrepair.
However, in 2015 the community in Greyabbey and the
Strangford Lough and Lecale Partnership realised the historic
value of the pump and restored it to its former glory.
|All is not
what it seems at the Rosemount Steam Fair, held Greyabbey, Co. Down. Thanks to
Marcus Simms for the photos
Markings: Flag, "MADE IN ENGLAND" and "3IN".
Manufacturer: A Lee Howl - which in fact is NOT being driven by a Lister engine (take a closer look...).