Upton St. Leonard's (click on photographs to bring up bigger/better versions).
[There's also a replica in Upton.]
|A very unusual pump
with a wooden flywheel at the back of the Old School House in Upton St.
Leonards, Glos. Respected Victorian architect Henry Woodyer (1816-1896), known
mainly for his church restorations and building of schools and vicarages, built
it in about 1850 at the same time as he built the school. There's a 1957 photo
in existence which shows schoolchildren operating the pump, along with a
comment that although mains water was by then laid on, they still used the pump
for watering the garden.
|Left: Detail, showing
the crank and the pierced and metal-banded flywheel.
Right: Detail, showing the wrought iron finial, much of which has been lost.
|Another in Upton St. Leonards, Glos. Thanks to Mike Woolford for
Manufacturer: Lee Howl