Rye, East Sussex (click on photograph to bring up bigger/better version).
in Landgate St, Rye, East Sussex. Thanks to Paul Snelling for the
|Not a lot
left of this one, in Tower St, either - but at least it's of good solid
construction. It's outside the 1869 waterworks. Thanks to Paul Snelling for the
Markings: A beautifully clear "S.Owens & Co, Engineers, London.".
Manufacturer: S. Owens.
wooden-boxed lead pump in what used to be called Pump St, but is now Church
Square. The tank carries two embossed motifs, very worn but possibly depicting
drinking cups surmounted by crosses, the letters "RC" (= Rye Corporation?), and
a date - 1826. The lead "rat's tail" downpipe is exposed behind a metal grille.
A plaque to one side recounts some of the history
relating to the water tower. Thanks to Paul Snelling for these earlier
A return visit in 2016 showed sadly that the wooden casing has deteriorated significantly, and the wrought iron support for the repaired nose is now missing. Apparently the authories are urgently looking into the renovation, and we've been promised a photograph of it once the work is complete. A photograph from the back of the pump shows that there's a perforated insert inside the lead tank, just behind the nose, and this would have been to filter out any debris from the drinking water.
|The elegant Georgian brick structure behind the pump is a cistern, complete with a water level indicator. The water source was some way down the hill, and water was pumped by means of a horse-powered gin (later a wind pump) and led up Conduit St via elm pipes.|
|Another wreck, opposite
Jempson's old premises in what
was Hind Yard, Wish Ward, Rye.
from Tina Jones:
seemingly complete pump in Rock Channel, Rye.
Manufacturer: Joseph Evans.
pump used as a rainwater head, halfway up the wall of an ancient house on the
south side of Church Sq., Rye. Note the "bunged-up nose" and the tapering end
of the rat's tail, designed to take an inlet valve.
Markings: Floral motifs.