|Click on photograph to bring up bigger/better version.|
|A typical lift and
force pump at Alwalton, Peterborough. Photograph supplied by John Hurst -
Markings: Flag and 2½.
Manufacturer: Lee Howl.
|Castor, Peterborough||See separate page.
|At the James Bradford
Almshouses, Helpston, Peterborough. Thanks to John Hurst for the photos. Sir
James Bradford (b.1841) started his working life as a lowly railway clerk,
rising to become superintendent at Portsmouth Station. He became a JP in
Brighton in 1903 and in 1907 the almshouses endowed by him were built on land
donated by the Fitzwilliam family. He was involved in many other charitable
works, including the erection of almshouses in Haywards Heath, and he died in
Markings: None visible.
|Longthorpe, Peterborough||See separate page.
Peterborough. Thanks to Mike Woolford for the photos.
Markings: "DF" on both sides of the spout.
Manufacturer: Unk, but probably French, and there's another at Longthorpe, Peterborough.
|In the village of
Sutton, Peterborough. Photograph supplied by John Hurst - thanks,
Markings: Badly corroded, but it's "Appleby & Co., Renishaw Iron Works, nr Chesterfield".
This pump has recently (2016) had a bit of a makeover. Thanks to Joan Deane for
the updated photo on the left and to John Hurst for the earlier one, on the
Markings: A roundel with the words "APPLEBY & CO. PATENTEES RENISHAW IRON WORKS DERBYSHIRE".
|On the Old North Road
at the village of Wansford, Peterborough. Photographs by John Hurst - thanks,
John - who confirms that there are no markings on the pump.
|Back to Directory|Back to Map|Home|