|Click on photograph to bring up bigger/better version.|
|Tubwell Row, Darlington. Photographs supplied by John Hurst - thanks, John. The spout looks to have been modified to take the air vessel and a possible connection for a hosepipe. Nearby there's a notice carrying the emblems of Durham County Council and Darlington Borough Council, which reads:|
|THE TUB WELL
The raised area in front of this plaque marks the
site of the Tub Well, from which Tubwell Row
takes its name. For at least three centuries this
was one of the main sources of drinking water
for the people of Darlington, until it was
covered over in about 1886. It was rediscovered
in July 1992 during repaving works, having a
depth of 11' 6" and containing over 4' of water.
Pump kindly donated by
Mr & Mrs H. Walker of Cleatham.
|Markings: None other.
|This Grade II-listed pump tucked away on the green at Great Stainton, Darlington, is in sore need of attention - in fact it was on Darlington Borough Council's "Buildings at Risk Register" in 2008, which noted "this ornamental water pump with its surrounding cast and wrought iron railings is steadily deteriorating. The wooden case in which the pump is housed is rotting badly in places, and in need of some replacement boards. The steel plaque, which highlights the event, has cracked in two and has erosion of the raised lettering". Photographs supplied by John Hurst - thanks, John. The damaged plaque reads:|
V . 1887 . [...]
QUEEN'S JU [...]
T.L.TROTTER R [...]OR.
J.LOWES CHURC [...] ARDEN.
Which originally was:
V. 1887. R
T.L. TROTTER RECTOR
J. LOWES CHURCHWARDEN
J. COWLEY OVERSEER
|On the green at Heighington, Darlington, there's a slot at the back which suggests that this was indeed a pump. Thanks to John Hurst for the photographs. There are two notices on the structure, reading:|
|Redworth, Darlington. Thanks to John Hurst for the photo.
Manufacturer: Joseph Evans.
Back to Directory|Back to Map|Home|