Bristol

Click on photograph to bring up bigger/better version.

blaise hamlet The pump at Blaise Hamlet, nr Henbury, Bristol, dated 1815. It is encased within a square section stone column which near the top carries the family coat of arms on three sides and a sundial on the fourth, surmounted by some fancy metalwork depicting the letter "H". The metal spout emerges from a stone lion's head and, despite its clumsy appearance, appears to be original, when compared with an old photograph. Below is an ashlar trough. There's an inscription on the square base, the last few words of which are now fading: blaise hamlet
THESE COTTAGES
DESIGNED BY JOHN NASH ESQ
WERE ERECTED BY THE LATE
JOHN S. HARFORD ESQ
IN THE YEAR 1811.
HIS SON JOHN S. HARFORD ESQ
THE PRESENT OWNER

GRATEFULLY RECORDS
TESTIMONY OF
FILIAL AFFECTION
THIS ACT OF HIS
BENEVOLENT PARENT
ANNO 1815
Blaise Hamlet has been described as "one of Britain’s most influential pieces of architecture". It was designed by the highly regarded architect John Nash (1752-1835), for the retired estate workers of J.S. Harford's Blaise Castle House. A group of sympathetically-designed cottages, some thatched and some with tiled roofs, surrounds a green, with the pump set near the middle.
Markings: Sundial is inscribed "Watkins, Bristol", but no other markings found.

Manufacturer: Unk. 

Bristol, Bristol See separate page.

clifton This one at Clifton, Bristol, has a massive counterweight. Photo supplied by David Hunt - thanks, Dave.

Markings: None.

Manufacturer: Unk

Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol See separate page.

Back to Directory|Back to Map|Home|