|Click on photograph to bring up bigger/better version.|
|In the Market Place at Ampthill, Beds, stands this pump in the form of an obelisk made from Portland stone. It was given in 1785 by John Fitzpatrick (Lord Ossory of Ampthill Park) as part of his general improvement of the area, and was designed by architect Sir William Chambers. It carries a lamp on its shoulders, and also serves as a milestone, with the inscriptions as below. Thanks to John Hurst for the photos.|
THE EARL OF
|Markings: None other.
|Arlesey, Beds. Thanks
to John Hurst for the photo.
Markings: It carries an "ENGLISH VILLAGE PUMP" roundel.
|Chawston, Beds. Thanks
to John Hurst for the photo.
|It's difficult to make
out the arrangement of this pump at Clifton, Beds, but there's some useful
Thanks to John Hurst for the photo.
Markings: None seen.
|An ornate octagonal cast iron pump in Cranfield, Beds, at the junction of Court Rd and the High St. The spout and handle are missing, but essentially identical pumps exist at Hampton Court Palace (East Molesey, Surrey); Ickenham, Greater London; Esher, Surrey; Brasted, Kent; Stalbridge, Dorset; and Ipplepen, Devon. In front of the pump is another much more modest one, probably installed later. Photos by Paul Snelling - thanks, Paul.|
pump: "Erected by Public Subscription, 1866". Smaller pump:
Manufacturer: Larger pump: It's a "No. 15 Enriched Gothic Pump Case" made by S. Owens & Co., of London. Smaller pump: Lee Howl.
|At Eversholt, Beds, this pump shows evidence of a replacement cap, as well as a worn down bucket hook. Thanks to Michael Burgess for the photo on the left and to John Hurst for the one on the right. The plaque reads:|
|EVERSHOLT VILLAGE PUMP
THE LAST REMAINING
PUBLIC PUMP IN EVERSHOLT
RESTORED BY VOLUNTEER
THE SITE RESTORED BY
4TH DUNSTABLE ICKNIELD
EVERSHOLT PARISH COUNCIL 1993/4
|Under a tiled roof, encased in wood, and with an interesting spout, this one's at Haynes Church End, Beds. Thanks to John Hurst for the photos. It was erected in 1867 and is inscribed:|
|O YE WELLS BLESS YE THE LORD|
|A single throw flywheel and crank pump, with counterweight, under the clock tower at Heath and Reach, Beds. Thanks to John Hurst for the photos. Inset into the wall are two dedication stones reading:|
WAS PRESENTED BY
MR. W. BRANTOM
|IN MEMORY OF
MAY 12, 1873
|Old Warden, Beds||See separate page.|
|Pegsdon, Beds. Thanks
to Bob Taylor for the photo.
Markings: Probable Lion.
Manufacturer: Probably Joseph Evans.
|A semi-rotary at
Sharnbrook, Beds. Thanks to John Hurst for the photo.
Markings: "No3" seen on the edge of the casing.
|A replica of the town pump at Shefford, Beds. Thanks to John Hurst for the photo. A plaque affixed to the pump reads:|
|THIS REPLICA OF
WAS DONATED BY
THE LOCAL COMMUNITY
IT IS DEDICATED
TO THE MEMORY OF
(1932 - 1992)
Photo by Michael Burgess - thanks, Michael.
|A fine example at Toddington, Beds, although the dedication shield is damaged. Photos by Val and Steve Muir - thanks, both. What's left of the shield reads:|
TO THE TOWN
|And it probably carried the date 1855. Mr William Dodge Cooper Cooper (d. 1860) was the Lord of the Manor at Toddington and Sheriff for Bedfordshire from 1829.|
re-visit to the pump in 2016 revealed the name "BARWELL & Co NORTHAMPTON"
on the base. Thanks to Marcus Simms for the photo on the
Manufacturer: Barwell & Co of Northampton.
|Turvey, Beds||See separate page.|
|Near the church at
Upper Caldecote, Beds. Thanks to John Hurst for the photo.
Markings: None discernible.
Back to Directory|Back to Map|Home|