Oxford Pumps (click on photograph to bring up bigger/better
|An ancient lead pump at Oriel College, Oxford. Thanks to Mike
Woolford for sending a later photo (2014, bottom right, with a mass of ivy).
Markings: On the pump tank, "1774", a winged cherub's face, and two serrated leaves. On the lead cistern below, "1758", and more serrated leaves.
|Another lead pump, at New College, Oxford. Thanks to Mike Woolford
for the photos.
Markings: Floral designs on the pump tank.
|And yet another lead pump, at St. Edmund's Hall, Oxford. Thanks to
Mike Woolford for the photos.
Markings: On the pump tank, "1783" and two urns.
|Octagonal pump outside St. Mary the Virgin,
|In the yard of the Crown, Oxford, this pump - although clearly not
in its original location - is judged to be a genuine Irish pump. Thanks to John
Hurst for the photo.
Markings: "D. CHRISTIE COLERAINE"
Manufacturer: D. Christie was probably the provider of the pump at its original location in Ireland.
|In an allotment near Oxford. Thanks to David Tole for the photos -
the second of which is included simply for its
artistic merit. Since then, Mike Woolford has returned and confirmed that there
are in fact six pumps at this
Markings: "HP" on a raised diamond.