Myton-on-Swale (click on photograph to bring up bigger/better version).
|The restored pump and pumphouse at Myton-on-Swale, N. Yorks. The "HMS 1870" on the trough refers to the then lord of the manor, Sir Henry Myles Stapylton, a very generous local benefactor. We are reliably informed that there are three further pumps in the village (but have only found two), all bearing the initials HMS and a date. Thanks to John Hurst for the post-restoration photos, and to Paul Snelling for the photo, bottom right, of the pumphouse before restoration. A nearby plaque reads:|
|This Pump House
was renovated in 2011
by residents and friends
of Myton on Swale
|Markings: None other.
|At a private residence in Myton-on-Swale, N. Yorks. Thanks to
Peter Bousfield for the photos, and who reports that the spout is made of brass
and that the 4" diameter lead downpipe leads down to a well, which is still in
Markings: "H.M.S 1870" on the tank, and "G.W.COATES, PLUMBER, BOROBRIDGE" on the handle fulcrum.
Manufacturer: Unk, as the handle fulcrum is reported to be a later replacement. (This name also appears on a pump at nearby Coneythorpe, and a very similar fulcrum carrying a different name is present on a pump at Hopperton.)
|And at another private residence in Myton-on-Swale, N. Yorks.
Thanks to Peter Bousfield for the photos.
Markings: "HMS 1885" on the tank.