Hilton Pumps (click on photographs to bring up bigger/better versions).
These two stone pumps were installed by the London Lead Company, who were active in the area over the period 1824-1876. Some long time later their mining operations broke into the underground water supply and fouled it, so they had to lay on mains water. At that stage the spouts were removed from the pumps and taps fitted. All photographs supplied by John Hurst - thanks, John.
is at the upper end of Hilton, Cumbs.
one is at the lower end of Hilton, Cumbs.