London Borough of Hillingdon (click on photographs to bring up bigger/better versions).
|Magnificently restored pump in Ickenham, Greater London. Land was granted for its original construction in 1865 and the will of Charlotte Gell, widow of John Henry Gell of The Buntings, provided the funding for the pump to be erected in 1866. (A charity in her name still exists.) It remained in use until December 1914, and in 1927 the local council wanted to move it in order to carry out a road-widening scheme. However, a report of 2003 indicated that £10,000 was to be allocated for its restoration, and it looks as if this took place successfully. Photos supplied by Paul Snelling - thanks, Paul. An inscription running around the inner edges of the octagonal roof reads:|
|ERECTED IN THE YEAR 1866
THIS WELL WAS SUNK AND THE PUMP ERECTED
BY THE EXECUTORS OF THE LATE CHARLOTTE GELL
WIDOW WHO DIED ON THE 14TH OF NOVEMBER 1863
AFTER A LONG RESIDENCE IN THIS PARISH
MRS GELL BY HER WILL DESIRED THAT THIS PUMP
SHOULD BE DEDICATED TO THE USE OF THE
INHABITANTS OF THIS VILLAGE FOREVER
|Markings: On the base there's a
heavily paint-encrusted panel which reads: ""The gift of Mrs [?] Charlotte Gell
to this parish A.D. 1866" . Just above this is a diamond-shaped panel, which
perhaps carries an indecipherable logo/coat of arms.
Manufacturer: It's a "No. 15 Enriched Gothic Pump Case" made by S. Owens & Co., of London.
pump in Longford, Greater London, is one of only two surviving pumps installed
by the Colnbrook Turnpike Trust in 1827, in order to keep the dust down on the
road. (The other one is at Poyle, Bucks.) It was restored to its current smart
state in 2016. Thanks to Simon Cowper-Smith for the post-restoration photos,
and to Mike Woolford for the photo of the pump before it was restored, far
Markings: The plinth also carries a Hillingdon coat of arms, but the pump has no markings.
Manufacturer: Said to be made by Fowler & Co, of Lambeth.
|A chunky specimen in the High St., Ruislip, Greater London, with a strange flat feature on its spout. Thanks to Simon Cowper-Smith for the photo. The Ruislip Village Trust provides some background:|
|"The pump was placed over a well sunk by Charles Page of Uxbridge Moor, an artesian well sinker, at the junction of High Street and Bury Street in 1864. It was moved to the side of Manor Farm Lodge in 1972 and moved again in 1982 to its present position in the High Street."|
|This pump in Windsor St, Uxbridge, Greater London, opposite the Tube Station, has an unusually large spout. Photos supplied by Paul Snelling - thanks, Paul. A plaque on its side (thanks to Mike Woolford for the close-up) reads:|
|London Borough of Hillingdon
And a nearby information notice states:
Uxbridge was supplied with piped water until c.1800 when the Grand Junction Canal was built severing the old timber pipes. Wells then had to be dug in the Town Centre and this pump is the "last relic of the second stage of the attempts to supply the people of Uxbridge with water". The pump has been restored to its original location. It was unveiled by the Mayor, Councillor E. Hales, on the 15th of December 1988.
|Click here to
see pic I've
taken from www.geograph.
|On the A4020 at Uxbridge, Greater London. This used to be a
section of the A40 and hence must have formed part of the earlier London to