Headcorn (click on photographs to bring up bigger/better versions).
[Thanks to Paul Snelling for all the photos.]
|Another impressive one, at Headcorn, Kent. There's an information notice on the wall behind it, which reads:|
HEADCORN PARISH PUMP
This pump was installed in 1846 a short distance west
of its present site and was in public use for nearly 50
years before the arrival of mains drainage. Moved to
Day's Green in 1982, it was replaced here in January 2002
"pot-bellied" pump in Headcorn, Kent. The handle is missing and the cap with
acorn finial doesn't look to be original.
Markings: None visible.
Manufacturer: Further examples of this pump design can be seen at Darvel and Sorn, East Ayrshire; and Plockton, Highlands. All seem to have caps and handles missing. They are believed to have been made by George Smith & Co of Glasgow.