Framlingham (click on photograph to bring up bigger/better version).

framlingham Large double-spouted pump in the centre of Framlingham, with a compound handle, acorn finial, scalloped lower spout, and an inspection door. It's featured on their town sign, and is also waymarked on the Town Trail. Photos supplied by John Gow - thanks, John. A photo from c1900 has come to light of the same pump in the same location, complete with horse-drawn water cart.

Markings: None.

Manufacturer: Unk.  

framlingham This interesting pump is set prominently in the centre of the neat Hitcham Almshouses in New Rd. Unfortunately, it's also a handy place to keep their dustbins, so the otherwise rather elegant effect is spoilt! Carries a coat of arms which is also used by the local Sir Robert Hitcham's School - so it must follow that it's his coat of arms. It has an inscription:
 WE 1835 T
Markings: None other.

Manufacturer: Unk. 

framlingham A wood-cased lead pump down an alleyway in Framlingham, Suffolk. Photos supplied by Mike Tovey - thanks, Mike.

Markings: The lead barrel carries some markings, but they can't be made out .

Manufacturer: Unk.  
framlingham

framlingham This one's at the Castle Inn, Framlingham, where reportedly it used to draw water from the well in their yard. Photo supplied by Mike Tovey - thanks, Mike.

Markings: None.

Manufacturer: Unk.  

framlingham, 2014 A wooden-boxed pump at Mill's Almshouses, Framlingham. Thanks to Bob Taylor for the photo. The pump carries a notice:
ALL ENQUIRIES
TO
WARDEN'S HOUSE
Markings: None other.

Manufacturer: Unk. 

framlingham, 2014 Also at Framlingham. Thanks to Bob Taylor for the photo.

Markings: Flag and "ALL BRITISH MADE".

Manufacturer: Lee Howl.  

|Back|Home|