Fen Drayton (click on photograph to bring up bigger/better version).
|Fen Drayton, Cambs. Thanks to John Hurst for the photo on the left
and to Richard Close for the one on the right.
Markings: Carries a plate with the words "J.B.Ulph, St. Ives, erected 1853".
Manufacturer: J.B.Ulph of St. Ives.
|Also at Fen Drayton, Cambs. Thanks to Richard Close for the
photos, and for telling us that both pumps were last used in the 1930s. "This
lead pump in an elm and oak box with a bird's nest top is now affixed to the
wall of our two cell lock-up." The pump was originally sited by a nearby well,
but an ash tree grew out of the side of the well and pushed the pump over. His
father re-positioned the pump beside the well but some lads pushed it into the
brook, from where it was re-sited to where it is today.