London Borough of Ealing (click on photographs to bring up bigger/better versions).
|This stocky pump in Acton is on The Mount, by the North-West Door of St. Mary's Church. It was originally located in the High St., where it had replaced an earlier conduit which previously had supplied the locality with water. It was removed to Woodlands Park when the High Street was set back in 1919. In 1952, it was taken to Gunnersbury Park and stored in the open until in 1988 the Acton Charities requested its return. Funds were raised, the restoration was carried out by Dorothea Restorations of Whaley Bridge, Derbs, and it was re-erected by Burton Brothers, builders of East Acton. Photographs and information kindly supplied by the Acton History group. The pump carries two inscriptions:|
|ERECTED BY THE
|(Rev William Antrobus was the long serving rector of St. Mary's, who died in 1853.)|
Manufacturer: Thomas Freethy, carpenter and builder, Acton.
|By the Wolf Inn, Norwood Green, Southall. Thanks to John Hurst for the photo. The plaque affixed to the pump is inscribed:|
CIRCA 1860 AND RESTORED
|Markings: None other.
A4020 Uxbridge Road, Southall. Thanks to John Hurst for the
Markings: "WARNERS" and "LONDON" on opposite sides of the spout.
Manufacturer: John Warner & Sons.