London Borough of Bromley (click on photographs to bring up bigger/better versions).
|An imposing municipal pump at Market Sq., Bromley, with a fancy counterweight. Thanks to Simon Cowper-Smith for the photos (which also show a portion of a large Charles Darwin mural, behind the pump). The nearby plaque reads:|
| Bromley Town
A parish pump stood in the Market Square,
adjacent to the Market Hall, for many years.
The pump was fed with water from an
underground stream that still surfaces in the
Church House Gardens. However at the time
of the building of the old Town Hall in 1863 the
original pump was removed.
The present pump of interesting Victorian
design was put up as a replacement, on a new
site in the Market Square, sometime in the
1860s. This pump was also removed when the
old Town Hall was demolished in 1933 to make
way for the Market Square development. It was
re-erected in Church House Gardens, where it
stood for fifty years before being restored.
London Borough of Bromley
Manufacturer: It's probably an "Enriched Gothic Pump Case" by S. Owens of London.
|The pump in Farnborough
village, Greater London, is old but not original, and its cap seems to be a
modern replacement. There's a plaque nearby which provides some useful
information, including a map of the original location of the village pump, and
an inscription. Photo supplied by Simon
Cowper-Smith - thanks, Simon.
Markings: None reported.